Tuesday, July 7, 2009

First Look: Eden of the East



I started watching Eden of the East because some dude told me on some kind of anime forum that it has something similar to Code Geass. When I heard that, I knew I had to see it. After watching 5 episodes out of 11 I really don't see where the similarity is. It has its fair amount of suspense and some mind games, but it is no match for Code Geass. What I still don't understand is what the fuck is the Eden Of the East. No relevance ot the title during the first 5 episodes. The story follows a boy, that can't remember anything about himself. All of a sudden he finds out that he is part of a game. He is a "selecao", a member of a group of 12 people, each one of them paid 10 billion Yen (100 mil $) and given the task to save their country, Japan. If they used the money for their own gain, they would be killed. The game is on! The problem is that the main hero, spent some of his money to erase his memory. Now he has 8.2 billion, no memories, and a girl that helps him discover the pieces that lead to the mastermind behind the game. What will happen? I don't know, but I really think this series is awesome. The graphics are beautiful too. The sound doesn't seem to impress, although the opening theme is gorgeous.

Expectation rating 9/10

5 comments:

Andrei said...

Funny, because "selecao/seleção" means national team in the Brazilian - Portuguese language. The Japanese find all the wrong names for a bunch of things, but I suppose it sounds cool for them. I tried to watch Eden of the East but I couldn't endure more than one episode. So I started to watch Gungrave instead. Fair trade eh? o.O

Maniak said...

same here..stunned by the random pick of "selecao"..but then when you find out that the phone's name is Juiz, you know there is no turning back xD don't know if it's a fair trade, but you could give EotE a second chance...didn't dissapoint

Tipul_2 said...

plus i believe that Gungrave will also disapoint a bit cause it's not what you expect

Sapphire Pyro said...

Ah, you had asked me if this series is really similar to Code Geass. Forgot to reply to that. My answer is: IT DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING IN COMMON AT ALL.

In a sense they are (I mean, they're both good series), but they are totally different series o_O If I should dig my brain on what actual similarity they have, then it's that both series are futuristic Japan. That's all.

Hope you get to finish it soon. It's a good series. Evil cliffhanger in the end though. And many thigns aren't explained yet to save them for the movies =_= ggguuhh . . .

Maniak said...

yeah, I noticed that it had no similarities..and I've already seen it, but because of the large number of drafts (over 10) it will only be published next week maybe