Wednesday, July 1, 2009

5 Centimeters Per Second



Another drama I am reviewing. I think it's a curse. Let me explain the title first: the movie is named 5 Centimeters Per Second for the speed at which cherry blossom petals fall, petals being a metaphorical representation of humans, reminiscent of the slowness of life and how people often start together but slowly drift into their separate ways. The storyline although not being too complex is very realistic and that is what actually makes it so easy to feel connected to the characters. You want him to get there on time. You want them to be happy. You want them to kiss. You are right there, with tears in your eyes hoping for a better tomorrow. Or if you're me, you're there scratching your balls thinking how the fuck did they manage to make something as sad as this shit. Many movies have those 'lucky circumstances', those unbelievably strange situations that are always nice to watch, because they are usually our fantasy-moments. This movie doesn't. And it's good, because some of us know deep inside, that those fantasy-moments will never happen so i guess that sometimes we even find ourselves wanting to see the 'real-life versions' of the plots...so no 'lucky circumstances', no happy-strange moments in this movie. This movie is all about real life... Yes, it may be sad. Yes, there might be no happy ending like in those Pixar and Disney bullshit fairy tales. But there will be something much better - a real life love story that will blow you away with it's amazing passion and animation. I only have one problem and you'll see what I mean if you're going to see the movie. In the first part, I really think the characters are waaaay to young for the romance. They are like 12-13 if I remember correctly. That is sick. They should have made them like 16. Would have made the story more passionate and in some ways more real. The sound is also gorgeous. I couldn't stop listening to the OST, so I really think you should check it out. I can't provide any information on the plot, because that would spoil it, and you don't want me spoiling this piece of shit for you, because you will watch it yourself. All I can say is that there are three episodes inside of this film; the second episode is set some years after the first episode, and the third episode is set some more years after the second episode.
BTW Do not watch with you girlfriend. I thought it would be fun. It wasn't.




Graphics 10/10
Sound 8/10
Storyline 8/10
Characters 7/10
Overall 8/10

ps: I am sick of reviewing all the drama and romance shit..I am really scared that my balls will actually fall off any minute now...if you are interested in joining our team and writing some reviews in your free time please contact us at animenerdz@rocketmail.com

3 comments:

roma said...

best review ever!

Maniak said...

@Romaine, are you feeling alright? xD

kluxorious said...

I remember posting the review for this movie on my blog and it pretty much said the same thing. This movie is made of awesomesauce.