Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bakemonogatari


I have put Bakemonogatari on hold for some unknown reason. I guess after I took a peek at the first episode, I kind of forget how intrigued I am with what I've seen. I blame it on my ridiculous busy life. It caused me short-term memory lost >_>

The scene I remembered the most about that first peek was when Senjogahara put a knife in Araragi's mouth. The stapler soon follows. I thought it was strangely erotic (go figure XD). I knew right away that this series is going to be creepily good. I even recommended it to some of my friends who asked of my opinion about the must see Summer anime of 2009, besides Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.

Shame on me for not watching it.

Until tonight. Thanks to Gabsicle, even though he gave me a half-ass reason trying to convince me.

Bakemonogatari or literally translated to Monsters Tales, is just as the title says it is. Araragi, the protagonist of this series encounters people who are experiencing strange phenomenon, one way or the other related to the supernatural stuff, like demons or monsters.

After watching the first two episodes, I was reminded why I didn't put too much effort to see this series. Senjogahara kinda pissed me off and I tend to be bias when I have a character that I dislike in an anime. It can pretty much dictates the rating and effect my readiness to watch the show.The earlier half of the second episode is totally useless. Fanservice much? The fact that Araragi waited there to be verbally abused does not sits well with me. I like my man with a back bone and good sense of humor. 3rd and 4th episodes are kinda WTF for me as well. I am slightly disappointed.

Bakemonogatari was produced by Aniplex and SHAFT. So as to be expected SHAFT once again wow us with their artistic techniques in portraying abstract scenes. The series optimized the full usage of camera angles that consequently produced the uniqueness of some of the scenes. Viewers are also assaulted with various pop up images/texts and multiple screens to further enhance the abstract experience. It can either add more of understanding or totally messed it up and left you even more confused than before.

Bakemonogatari reminds me a lot of Shikabanehime and at other time of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Mostly Shikabanehime. Even Oshino looks like a reincarnation of Keisei, which makes me reminiscing, which makes me sad T__T

I cannot say much about the characters as they aren't thoroughly developed. I like them though (except for Senjogahara). Probably because they were so beautifully designed.

Oh by the way, let me be clear on one thing though: I'm not getting on Araragi/Senjohara 'ship boat.

The sound effects are splendid. It gives you the creep when the needed arise. I thought I recognize Araragi's voice. When I checked him out, his seiyuu is Hiroshi Kamiya. The same guy who VA Nozomu Itoshiki from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei and Takemoto Yuuta from Honey and Clover. So naturally I like his voice. I have no complains for the other voices either so it is all good. Interestingly, only certain episodes have OP and ED. They also switched them between the episodes so you are not stuck with the same OP and ED playing over and over again.
OP:
#01: "staple stable" by Chiwa Saito (Eps. 2, 6)
#02: "Kaerimichi (帰り道)" by Emiri Katou (Ep. 4)
End:
#01: "Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari (君の知らない物語)" by supercellxnagi


I do enjoy Bakemonogatari however at times I feel like it was being dragged on unnecessarily, which kinda turn me off slightly. Nevertheless my interest perks up immediately when it comes to the rituals. It is the best part in my opinion.



If you like trippy anime that deals with monsters and demons, this one is a must see. If you are not, it is still worth a watch.

Art 8/10
Sound 8/10
Storyline 7/10
Characters 7/10
Enjoyment 7/10
Overall 7/10

ps: wow, I didn't curse even once. That's a record! LOL

No comments: